This workshop covers the following topics:
- Writing a comedy with the Story-Type Method: Structural tips and advice
- Comedy Subgenres: What do they all have in common?
- How to use story-types and Maslow in a comedy
- Developing a Plot-Led Comedy
- Case Study: The Hangover (Todd Philips)
- Developing a Character-Led Comedy
- Case study: Tootsie (Sydney. Pollack) or Bridesmaids (Paul Feig)
- Developing a Theme-Led Comedy
- Case study: Parenthood (Ron Howard)
- Developing a Comedy as a Hybrid or an Exception
- Case studies: The Court Jester (Norman Panama), 500 Days of Summer (M. Webb) and Adaptation (Spike Jonze)
What's in it for you?
The aim of the workshop is to equip filmmakers with a detailed understanding of the principles involved in developing a screenplay in the Comedy genre.
Participants are expected to have either attended our 3-day Advanced Development Workshop or read Screenwriting Unchained, as this 2-day module is based on the innovative Story-Type Method® introduced in the book/main workshop.
Using clips, examples and detailed case studies from films such as The Hangover, The Young Offenders, Tootsie, Toni Erdmann, Midnight Run, The Circus, Life is Beautiful, There’s Something About Mary, Back to the Future, Juno, Silver Linings Playbook, Groundhog Day, Keeping Mum, Bringing Up Baby, Bridesmaids, Hot Fuzz, Parenthood, Friends, The Intouchables, The Full Monty, Toy Story, Planes Trains and Automobiles, As Good As It Gets, This is the End, Love Actually, Goodby Lenin, It’s Complicated, Little Miss Sunshine, The Apartment, 500 Days of Summer, Ted, Galaxy Quest, Trading Places, The Cameraman, Dan in Real Life, Fargo, Deadpool, The Pink Panther, The Heat, Safety Not Guaranteed, Some Like It Hot, A Fish Called Wanda, Adaptation and many others, we’ll look at the storytelling tools and techniques needed to master this very popular genre.
ACE - Ateliers du Cinéma Européen (F)
Cologne International Film school - Production department (G)
Cornwall Film (UK)
Creative England (UK)
Ealing Studios (UK)
FAS / Screen Training Ireland (IR)
Film I Väst - SVT - Svenska Filminstitutet (SW)
FilmLab Norge (NW)
Ideal Audience / Kaleo Films (F)
Jim Henson's Creature Shop (UK)
Media Desk Galway (IR)
Medienboard Berlin Brandebourg (G)
Mitteldeutsche MedienForderung (G)
Pipedream Pictures (UK)
Screen West Midlands (UK)
Swedish Film Institute (SW)
UK Film Council - Development Fund (UK)
Zephyr Films (UK)